DAY 2
The Guy's Day:
The guys woke up super early Sunday morning (I'm talking 1:30 AM!) to participate in a sunrise bike down Mount Haleakala. A shuttle picked them up from the Grand Wailea and drove them up 10,023 feet to the top of the mountain. The shuttle driver, Carl, really amused the guys (he was really "chillll man" if you get my drift) and was referred to often during our trip with laughter. The guys arrived at the summit about an hour before sunrise and watched it rise from cloud level!
| At Cloud Height |
![]() |
| The crater where they watched the sun come up. Looks otherworldly! |
Us girls had originally planned to go as well, however, the early rise time didn't suit us and we were a bit worried about the bike ride down. We decided that if the boys had a good experience we could go later in the week. Turned out pretty well that we didn't accompany the guys. Apparently they said multiple times during the ride down that we wouldn't be enjoying ourselves. Probably right, I mean, look at the helmets they had to wear! Pretty intense for a bike if you ask me. I'll stick to the bike trails at Hilton Head, thank you.
I am a bit jealous of the cool things they got to see though! Besides the obvious of watching the sun rise on a crater, on top of a mountain, above the clouds... they also got to see a rainbow, a FOG bow (uhh I didn't even know that existed!), and beautiful views of Hawaiian landscape.
![]() |
| FOG bow! |
![]() |
| Rainbow |
![]() |
| Still above cloud level |
You can ride down the mountain at your own pace, so they guys stopped for some breakfast.
Clearly it had been a long day for the guys so when they arrived back home they pretty much all did this:
| Miguel conked out after the ride |
The Ladies' Day:
While the men were rapidly riding bikes down a volcano, my mom, sister, niece, and I headed to the Grand Wailea for a Mother's Day champagne brunch. I miss spending time as just the girls, so this was extra special. You just couldn't beat the setting or company!
After brunch we walked down to the beach for the first time. The weather was back and forth between sunny and gray, but the ocean and scenery was still beyond gorgeous. And the sand in Maui is so very different from any sand I've ever felt before. It was incredibly soft yet dense at the same time, if that makes any sense. Mom said it was the first time she's ever wanted to take sand home before.
Karis had a blast watching the waves, playing in the sand, and dipping her toes in the water! We should have known then that this little girl had a thing for the sea!
When we got back to the villa Lolly and Karis called Gigi (my grandma) to wish her a happy mothers day. Karis is very helpful on the phone. ;) She is such a technology generation baby. Every time someone is on the phone she thinks she is face-timing, ha!
The rest of the day we spent at the pool and spending time with the family. I didn't get any more photos though.
Oh, goodness. So. Much. Fun! Still plotting on how to move there...

















No comments:
Post a Comment