Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tie Dyed Cookies + New Sugar Cookie Recipe


I got the idea to try out these cookies from a blog I follow. I also got a homemade, sugar cookie recipe from the same site. I read such good things about this recipe, I decided to try it out instead of using dough from a mix. It felt a little dry and made the steps of making these cookies hard to make successful. However, the boys who are visiting have eaten them up in no time... so at least they still taste good.

Here is the recipe if you want to give it a go:

1 cup of softened butter
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 and 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Mix flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough. 

I'm not used to dough looking/feeling this dry.

Okay, so after I made the dough, I separated the dough into sections and used Wilton's gel coloring to make a rainbow of colors.  This wasn't easy because of the dough being the texture that it was. 


Next, I cut the dough into about one inch sections. 


Then I took four sections of different colors and put them together. 


The dough is supposed to be squeezed together and then be rolled between the palms of your hands into a long, snake-like shape. It's then meant to be rolled up into a spiral. Because of how my dough turned out, this step didn't really work very well. Half way through I just ended up making cookies with four different colored sections rather than tie dyed cookies. 


Before baking

So my cookies turned out like this: 

After baking

After baking: Spirals and sectioned cookies

Because my cookies didn't turn out looking all that smooth, I iced them and put rainbow sprinkles on them to assist in masking the flaws.


I'm curious about trying this sugar cookie recipe again. Any suggestions or thoughts on why it turned out this way? Or ideas on how to make it more moist or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...